[JPL] prototypes of hip hop in jazz

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Wed Oct 29 17:28:15 EDT 2008

The post on Bobby Robinson prompted me to recall that early next year I will
be making a presentation of jazz, blues and r n b music to a class of senior
high school music students as a prelude to Black History Month.

Rappin n rhymin on records goes back to the 1920s and before that on the
stage and street, I have many examples of proto type rap songs by Pops, Cab,
Louis Jordan and others as well as prison songs, signifying poetry etc  Do
you have any examples of what you feel maybe a proto type rap track
pre-1960?

Arturo