[JPL] prototypes of hip hop in jazz

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 19:11:44 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Arturo Gomez <arturo at kuvo.org> wrote:

> The post on Bobby Robinson prompted me to recall that early next year I
> will
> be making a presentation of jazz, blues and r n b music to a class of
> senior
> high school music students as a prelude to Black History Month.
>
> Rappin n rhymin on records goes back to the 1920s and before that on the
> stage and street, I have many examples of proto type rap songs by Pops,
> Cab,
> Louis Jordan and others as well as prison songs, signifying poetry etc  Do
> you have any examples of what you feel maybe a proto type rap track
> pre-1960?
>
> Arturo

Fully agree with those (I think a lot of us have been playing Jordan for
President lately, which is part of his infinite reworkings of Beware Brother
Beware), but I'd also point to Jon Hendricks both on Dizzy For
President/Vote Dizzy (Salt Peanuts) but particularly the intros to George
Russell's New York New York from 1958.

N.

--
====