[JPL] Next week on satellite radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 09:50:42 EDT 2008

>From KING HENRY V…Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more…

>From Groucho Marx…I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

>From Russ Davis…Program Director…Beyond Jazz…russ.davis at xmradio.com…”here’s some stuff I put together for you guys to listen to this week..so listen!

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (3-9 November 2008)

This Monday, November 3rd, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most popular guitarists and vocalists in jazz history in celebration of his election to be an NEA Jazz Master. It’s the man from Pittsburgh, GEORGE BENSON! You’ll hear the story of his incredible life and career and a full hour of his wonderful music as we celebrate the fact that the National Endowment For The Arts has just named him an NEA Jazz Master. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week it’s NEA Jazz Master GEORGE BENSON!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific.

Twice this week, join us for STANLEY CLARKE & FRIENDS LIVE IN L.A. on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll head to Hollywood for a star-studded presentation that chronicles the 3rd annual Stanley Clarke Scholarship Concert, recorded at the Musicians Institute in Hollywood, CA, in October 2002 featuring guests like Stevie Wonder, Bela Fleck, Stewart Copeland, Flea, Marcus Miller and others. Stanley called the concert “Night School” and the show includes performances that range from straight ahead jazz to full-tilt rock fusion to twenty-two-piece string arrangements – all on one stage, all in a single night. You’ll hear an hour of this performance, which is just part of the DVD “Night School” that came out in 2007.  Join us for STANLEY CLARKE & FRIENDS LIVE IN L.A. on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on this Saturday, November 8th , we'll talk to the artists who have new releases out there these days with a special presentation titled NEW AND NOTABLE! We’ll talk to David Sanborn, Billy Cobham, Nicholas Payton, The Yellowjackets, Dave Douglas, Roy Hargrove, Robert Walter, Cassandra Wilson, Randy Brecker, Chico Hamilton, Kenny Garrett & Will Bernard and hear from each one of their great, new works.  Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's NEW AND NOTABLE, this Saturday on WORDS & MUSIC.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN” as award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.