[JPL] 2008 Top Ten

Bill Barton seekandlisten at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 05:09:27 EDT 2008

I recently submitted my 2008 Top Ten list to *CODA*.  Here it is in
alphabetical order:

Daniel Barry - Walk All Ways - OA2
Satoko Fujii Trio - Trace A River - Libra
Gordon Grdina's Box Cutter - New Rules for Noise - Spool Line
Mary Halvorson Trio - Dragon's Head - Firehouse 12
The Royal Hartigan Ensemble - Blood Drum Spirit: LIve in China - Innova (2
CDs)
Jason Kao Hwang/Edge - Stories Before Within - Innova
Mark Masters Ensemble - Farewell Walter Dewey Redman - Capri
Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath – Eclipse At Dawn - Cuneiform
Cuong Vu - Vu-Tet - artistShare
Tony Wilson 6tet - Pearls Before Swine - Drip Audio

And the runners-up in completely random order:

John Butcher/Torsten Muller/Dylan van der Schyff - Way Out Northwest - Drip
Audio
Hadley Caliman - Gratitude - Origin
Joe Locke - Force of Four - Origin
Reptet - Chicken or Beef? - Monktail Records
Organissimo - Groovadelphia - Big O Records
Francois Carrier & Michel Lambert - Kathmandu - FMR
Francois Carrier/Michel Lambert/Jean-Jacques Avenel - Within - Leo
Ben Allison - Man Size Safe - Palmetto
Jane Ira Bloom - Mental Weather - Outline
Tim Warfield - One for Shirley - Criss Cross
Mark O'Leary/Eyvind Kang/Dylan van der Schyff - Zemlya - Leo
Carla Kihlstedt & Satoko Fujii - Minamo - Henceforth
Vijay Ayer - Tragicomic - Sunnyside
Bill Dixon - 17 Musicians in Search of a Sound: Darfur - AUM Fidelity
James Carter - Present Tense - EmArcy
Idit Shner - Tuesday's Blues - OA2
Thomas Marriott - Crazy: The Music of Willie Nelson - Origin
McCoy Tyner - Guitars - Half Note
Charmaine Clamor - Flippin' Out - FreeHam
Dawn Clement - Break - Origin
Matt Ulery's 'Loom' - Music Box Ballerina - Woolgathering
Shakers 'n Bakers - Yearning for Zion - little (i) music
Royal Hartigan - Ancestors - Innova (2 CDs)
Charlie Haden - Rambling Boy - Decca
Elio Villafranca Quartet - The Source in Between - Ceiba Tree Music
Francisco Mela - Cirio - Half Note
Michael Moore & Fred Hersch - This We Know - Palmetto
Mostly Other People Do the Killing - This Is Our Moosic - Hot Cup
Junk Box - Sunny Then Cloudy - Libra