[JPL] Stan Getz to blame for current world financial crisis........

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Fri Oct 31 12:02:35 EDT 2008

The daily Stockholm newspaper Dagens Nyheter's Oct 14 2008 edition
concluded that Stan Getz was partly to blame for the financial crisis
now plaguing the world. The reason: an article in the New York Times
called "Taking a hard new look at a Greenspan legacy."

The Swedish paper concluded that things might have been different had
Greenspan pursued a musical career.

ALAN GREENSPAN: Then, I decided that baseball was my thing. And I was
actually getting very good, but at the age of 14, I hit a plateau and I
never improved.

JIM LEHRER: You were a left-hander, first baseman, right?

ALAN GREENSPAN: I was a left-handed first baseman. I hit the ball pretty
well. Then, I got into music, and I became a professional musician for a
couple of years.

JIM LEHRER: Played the clarinet...

ALAN GREENSPAN: Clarinet, saxophone, flute, bass clarinet.

JIM LEHRER: Which one did you enjoy the most?

ALAN GREENSPAN: I actually enjoyed the clarinet the best, but I was a
fairly good amateur, but a moderate professional. But what really did me
in is I had, as an amateur, had to play next to Stan Getz. I was 16; he
was 15. I decided, "Do I really want to be in this business?"

JIM LEHRER: Why, because he was so good?

ALAN GREENSPAN: Oh, my god.

JIM LEHRER: Was he really good?

ALAN GREENSPAN: And he was one of the really historic famous sax
players. And the best economic decision I ever made in my life was to
decide to leave the music business and go into economics.