[JPL] Songwriters Birthdays - November

dick lapalm dlpjazz at thegrid.net
Fri Oct 31 22:56:21 EDT 2008

SONGWRITERS BIRTHDAYS - NOVEMBER

Nov. 4  (1896)   Harry Woods     Music:   Try a Little Tenderness, Side
By Side, We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye, What A Little Moonlight Can Do.

Nov. 4  (1907)   Bennie Benjamin     Music:   I Don't Want To Set The
World On Fire, Confess, Oh What It Seemed To Be, Rumors Are Flying.

Nov. 6  (1886)   Gus Kahn     Lyrics:   It Had To Be You, You Stepped
Out Of A Dream, Love Me Or Leave Me, Makin' Whoopee, I'm Through With
Love, I'll Never Be The Same, My Baby Just Cares For Me.

Nov. 7  (1943)   Joni Mitchell     Music & Lyrics:   The Circle Game,
Both Sides Now, Free Man In Paris, Carey, Big Yellow Taxi.

Nov. 10  (1929)   Marilyn Bergman     Lyrics:   How Do You Keep The
Music Playing, The Way We Were, Nice 'N Easy, The Windmills Of Your
Mind, Where Do You Start, I Believe In Love.

Nov. 11  (1927)   Mose Allison     Music & Lyrics:   Everybody Cryin'
Mercy, Parchman Farm, If You Live, Stop This World, Your Mind Is On
Vacation.

Nov. 12  (1891)   Richard Whiting     Music:   Hooray For Hollywood, Too
Marvelous For Words, My Ideal, Beyond The Blue Horizon, She's Funny That
Way.

Nov. 12  (1936)   Mort Shuman     Music & Lyrics:   Save The Last Dance
For Me, Can't Get Used To Losing You, This Magic Moment.

Nov. 16  (1873)   W.C. Handy     Music:   St. Louis Blues, Beale Steet
Blues, Long Gone, Joe Turner's Blues.

Nov. 16  (1927)   Norman Gimbel     Lyrics:   The Girl From Ipanema,
Killing Me Softly With His Song, Bluesette, Watch What Happens, How
Insensitive.

Nov. 18  (1909)   Johnny Mercer     Lyrics:   Something's Gotta Give,
That Old Black Magic, Midnight Sun, Satin Doll, Day In Day Out, Blues In
The Night, Laura, The Days Of Wine And Roses, Come Rain Or Come Shine,
I'm Old Fashioned.

Nov. 22  (1899)   Hoagy Carmichael     Music:   Skylark, The Nearness Of
You, Georgia On My Mind, Star Dust, Baltimore Oriole, I Get Along
Without You Very Well, Lazy Bones, How Little We Know, Two Sleepy
People, One Morning In May.

Nov. 22  (1902)   Allen Neiburg     Music:   It's The Talk Of The Town,
Under A Blanket Of Blue, I'm Confessin' That I Love You.

Nov. 23  (1925)   Johnny Mandel     Music:   A Time For Love, Not Really
The Blues, The Shadow Of Your Smile, Emily, Straight Life, Where Do You
Start, The Shining Sea, Unless It's You, You Are There.

Nov. 23  (1928)   Jerry Bock     Music:   Too Close For Comfort,
Matchmaker Matchmaker, Sunrise Sunset, Mr. Wonderful, Tonight At Eight.

Nov. 24  (1868)   Scott Joplin     Music:   Maple Leaf Rag, Sugar Cane
Rag, Wall Street Rag, The Entertainer.

Nov. 25  (1900)   Arthur Schwartz     Music:   Dancing In The Dark,
That's Entertainment, I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plans, Alone
Together, Then I'll Be Tired Of You, I See Your Face Before Me, A Gal In
Calico, Haunted Heart, You And The Night And The Music, By Myself.

Nov. 28  (1943)   Randy Newman     Music & Lyrics:   Short People, I
Love To See You Smile, Mama Told Me Not To Come, I Think It's Going To
Rain Today.

Nov. 29  (1911)   Walter Kent     Music:   I'm Gonna Live 'Til I Die,
I'll Be Home For Christmas, The White Cliffs Of Dover.

Nov. 29  (1915)   Billy Strayhorn     Music & Lyrics:   Lush Life, Take
The 'A' Train, Something To Live For.  Music:   Satin Doll,  Just
A-sittin' and A-rockin', Chelsea Bridge.

Warm wishes,

Dick LaPalm