[JPL] Jimmy Cleveland obit?

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 03:54:16 EDT 2008

There's a thread at http://speakeasy.jazzcorner.com/speakeasy/ that
confirms that Jimmy did pass away.  A memorial service was held in
Long Beach on August 27th.

He was certainly one of the very best trombonists of his era, a
personal favorite of mine.  Unfortunately he was one of the least
recorded as a featured soloist.  The sessions he recorded for
Mercury/Emarcy back in the 1950's didn't allow much time to stretch
out and weren't that well recorded either.

Quincy Jones used him on a lot of his sessions.  Check out Jimmy's
solo on "Walking in Space" and also trading choruses with Urbie Green
and Frank Rehak on "Walkin" from Quincy's 1957 date "This is How I
Feel About Jazz" reissued on CD by Impulse about 15 years ago.

Doug Crane
dcrane at comcast.net
KUVO Denver 89.3 FM
Wednesdays 7-9 PM