[JPL] Detroit-Philly Summit

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Wed Sep 3 14:33:10 EDT 2008

    Tuesday, September 02, 2008

      Detroit-Philly Summit

I returned yesterday from the Detroit International Jazz Festival
<http://www.detroitjazzfest.com/>, billed this year as a "Detroit-Philly
Summit," with artist-in-residence Christian McBride (Philly bassist
extraordinaire). My business there was to speak about John Coltrane with
fellow panelists Ashley Kahn, Jimmy Heath, Benny Golson and local
Detroit legend Faruq Z. Bey. It was a great time, though I was boxed
into a pretty nerdy journalistic role, talking about Coltrane's
lingering impact on the Philly scene while Heath and Golson stole the
show with their repartee and personal reminiscences. Golson and I had a
disagreement about Ornette Coleman's influence on Trane --- substantial,
I said; not at all, Golson said. But we left it on a good note.

In all, Detroit reinforced what I've learned here in Philly about jazz
regionalism, the vital musical universes that exist at a remove from the
more celebrated centers of New York, Chicago, etc. Touring the Motown
Museum on Saturday morning (the genius of Berry Gordy never ceases to
amaze), I was strongly reminded of jazz's place in the continuum of
black popular music. Most of the Motown session players were jazzers,
chosen specifically for their ability to improvise without written
parts. The Philly parallel is Gamble & Huff's Philadelphia International
Records. I happened to share a van ride from the airport with singer Dee
Dee Sharp <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dee_Dee_Sharp>, the former wife
of Kenny Gamble and one of Philly International's notable artists (along
with Wilson Pickett, Dusty Springfield, Laura Nyro, others).

Soon after landing I learned that Barack Obama was coming to speak on
Labor Day at Hart Plaza, precisely where the jazz festival was taking
place. My itinerary made it impossible for me to stay, but it turned out
he spoke for only 11 minutes, and uncertainty about Gustav made it a
less-than-celebratory occasion. Obama Fever was thick in the air the
whole weekend, however, with gaudier and gaudier Obama t-shirts out in
force among the African-American festival-goers. I had to laugh
recalling the conventional wisdom from a year ago that black America
wouldn't support him.

The weather was perfect on the beautiful Detroit waterfront --- yes,
gritty Detroit has a really nice waterfront --- and some of the music I
caught was fantastic. This year's theme made the Coltranes
(Philadelphia-based John and Detroit native Alice) a natural focus, and
so Ravi Coltrane's tribute to his late mother with Geri Allen, Charlie
Haden and Jack DeJohnette (plus harp and tabla) made for a stirring
Sunday late afternoon.

My preferred view at one of the smaller stages had me focused on
rotating pianists over two days: first Frank Kimbrough with Ted Nash's
Mancini Project; then Geri Allen again with a Detroit-Philly summit
featuring Randy Brecker and Bootsie Barnes; then Rick Germanson with Pat
Martino; then the dangerous Mike LeDonne with Benny Golson's quartet;
and finally Gerald Clayton with Roy Hargrove's phenomenal quintet, which
laid ruin to the place on Sunday night. I had to run back and forth
between Hargrove's set and an equally fine one from Detroiter Gerald
Cleaver's Violet Hour sextet, across the plaza on another stage. Too
much music to keep up with: the story of my life, and the best reason to
travel to friendly Michigan for one of the U.S.'s leading festivals.

[P.S. --- Another thing the Detroit Jazz Festival brought home was the
lack of a comparable festival in downtown Philadelphia. The George
Wein-produced Mellon Jazz Festival (formerly Kool Jazz Festival) petered
out earlier this decade; the PECO Energy Jazz Festival took place in
winter months during the '90s. Today we have the West Oak Lane Jazz &
Arts Festival <http://www.westoaklanefestival.com/>, which is vibrant
but fiercely local in its focus, and a 20-minute drive or so from
downtown in Mt. Airy. So the truth remains that there is no big-draw,
national-scope summer jazz fest in central Philly. How absurd for this
historic jazz capital, former home of Coltrane, Gillespie, Tyner and
countless others, to be unrepresented among major American cities in
this way. By rectifying the situation, City Hall could boost
Philadelphia's image in a hurry.]

Labels: Music <http://lerterland.blogspot.com/search/label/Music>,
Philly <http://lerterland.blogspot.com/search/label/Philly>

/posted by David R. Adler @ 10:35 AM