[JPL] Anyone know about Horace Silver's health??

JanLeder at aol.com JanLeder at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 19:36:57 EDT 2008

In early April I brought a quintet (with vocals) to a very nice  healthcare
facility here in Westchester County, New York, which is unusual since  most of
my wellness gigs are solos and duos.  We performed for a crowd of  maybe 50 to
75 folks, many in wheelchairs.  After the show (which  unfortunately did not
include even one of the Horace Silver tunes I  usually play) while the band
was packing up, most of the residents were wheeled  out of the auditorium.  Only
one man remained, and his nurse shyly asked me  if I had ever heard of Horace
Silver.  I told her of course, he was jazz  royalty, and quite beloved among
us musicians.

She pointed to the man in the wheelchair and said, "That's him" and
naturally I was amazed and concerned.  I paid my respects, as did my band,  who
practically dropped their instruments when I told them, as they lined up to  meet
the Master.  He didn't look great but he did look very much present,  and let me
know with his eyes that he appreciated what we were doing.   It occurred to
me later what a fantastic compliment it was that he stayed  and wanted to meet
us!

Hearing his birthday was coming up I called the facility last week to see  if
he was still there.  They said he was not, and I thought perhaps that  meant
his condition was better and his rehabilitation could continue in a more
private setting.

(A few months later I was truly honored to be asked to participate in a
recreation of Art Kane's "Jazz Portrait: Harlem 1958" with 54 women and 3 men
(the reverse of the original).  It was a terrific gathering, and  I got to see
lots of ladies I hadn't seen in many years.  We placed  ourselves randomly and
were told if there was someone special whose spot we  wanted to be in to go
there.  I didn't, but as soon as I got home I checked  the large print of the
portrait over my desk to see whose spot I was in, and it  was Horace Silver's!)

Jan Leder
_www.janleder.info_ (http://www.janleder.info)

Since we all celebrated the greatness of Horacio Martin Ward  Tavares da
Silva's recent 80th birthday, it sparked curiosity about Horace's  health.
Anyone know how señor blues is  doing?

Arturo

deal here.