[JPL] Anyone know about Horace Silver's health??

MRJAZZOFNO at aol.com MRJAZZOFNO at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 20:08:17 EDT 2008

The last person that I knew that had contact was the old Music Maestro,  Dick
LaPalm.
Dick use to visit Horace in Malibu, and would fill me in on how Gregory,
Horace's son was taking care of him.
I tried to call him for his Birthday on Tuesday, but the number I had was
disconnected.
I was glad to see the Jan Ledner post and know that he was being taken care
of.
Between the sale of the house, and his royalties, he should be taken care  of
as a King in his condition.
Horace wrote a tune for me on his "Hard Bop Grandpop" CD on Impulse. It's #
6  and called "We've Got Silver @ Six" . In the liner notes that he  wrote, he
acknowledges the he wrote the tune for me,  and it is one of  the high points
of my thirty four of  Jazz Broadcasting.  God  bless the Godfather of Hard
Bop !
Michael"Mr. Jazz" Gourrier
Bebop & Beyond   _www.wrir.org_ (http://www.wrir.org)   9AM -1PM  Sunday
Mornings  EDT
WRIR-FM
Richmond, VA

This  week's sponsor:  Resonance Records

GOING FOR ADDS  NOW:

Resonance Records has re-serviced MIKE GARSON's CONVERSATIONS WITH  MY FAMILY
[ ****1/2 Downbeat '' A glowing achievement''] stickered with some  fine jazz
tracks. This is our first official solicitation for adds (due  to  Reference
Recordings having a title out in the spring which we did  not want to create
any conflict with).   GARSON is a piano and  keyboard wizard, who has worked
with Stan Getz, Stanley Clarke, his band  Freeflight and many others. There are
some gorgeous tracks ready for  airplay.  As a bonus, the DVD features Peter
Erskine and the sadly, late  great LA bass player, Dave Carpenter + a preview
of Resonance artist Lori Bell  on flute.

Resonance has just released Pittsburgh native CATHY ROCCO's  debut YOU'RE
GONNA HEAR FROM ME. Check out her take on ''Autumn Leaves'',  ''Come Rain or
Shine'' and ''Give Me One Reason'' (with a guest turn on organ  from John
Beasley).   ROCCO is not some newbie-want-to-be  a-jazz-singer.  ''She is a formidable
swinger'' Will Friedwald, New York  Sun, from the liner notes, which are
worth a read.  Cathy is supported by  Tamir Hendelman on piano, Dave Carpenter on
bass and Vic Stevens on  drums.  CATHY ROCCO has a big voice and a keen sense
of  drama.

watch for:
Christian Howes with Roger Kellaway  ''Heartfelt''
Toninho Horta: ''To Jobim With  Love

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Greetings,

The last  I've heard is the Horace is in failing health and has moved back to
the  state of New York.  Red Holloway, a longtime friend of Horace's,  has
asked about him as well.  He used to visit Horace in Malibu, but  found the
house had been sold the last time he dropped by.  He would  like to contact
Horace, but has had no luck with the numbers he  has.

Thanks for any more input.

Horace is our Artist of the Week  this week at Jazz 88.3!

Peace,
Claudia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Claudia Russell
Program Director
Jazz  Host
KSDS 88.3fm Public Radio
1313 Park Blvd.
San Diego, CA  92101
619-388-3060
www.jazz88.org
[...]

Since we all celebrated the  greatness of Horacio Martin Ward Tavares da
Silva's recent 80th birthday,  it sparked curiosity about Horace's health.
Anyone know how señor blues is  doing?

Arturo

Jazz Programmers' Mailing  List: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com