[JPL] The Jazz Session: Three new shows, lots of free music!

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Sep 8 00:12:00 EDT 2008

*** (Hello, JPLers. This week I'm sending you a fuller version of my
weekly e-mail, so you can see what my mailing list subscribers
receive. Thanks! -- Jason) ***

Hello friends!

This week you get a treat: not one, not two, but THREE new episodes
of The Jazz Session. I'm celebrating the 2008 Tanglewood Jazz
Festival by featuring three interviews recorded there.

Today (Monday), The Jazz Session #41 features clarinetist and
saxophonist Eddie Daniels (see below for links). On Wednesday, be
sure to tune in for a hidden treasure as The Jazz Session #42 brings
you the wonderful Australian vocalist Jo Lawry. And then on Friday,
learn what folks on the West Coast already know and check out singer/
songwriter Spencer Day -- fresh from a live recording with Marian
McPartland -- on The Jazz Session #43. What a week! (And don't
forget, my reviews of each day of the festival are at http://
thejazzsession.com too.)

FREE! FREE! FREE MUSIC: Be sure to visit the Web site or listen to
The Jazz Session to win free music! This week, you can win CDs by
Eddie Daniels, Jo Lawry or Joel Harrison. It's easy -- instructions
are on each episode and also at the thejazzsession.com.

As you can see (and hear!), The Jazz Session is going strong, with
more than 100,000 downloads since we started last year. Coming up:
Jack DeJohnette, Kenny Garrett, Henry Grimes, Brian Blade, David
Sanborn, Satoko Fuji, Erin Bode, Roswell Rudd, Lee Shaw, Kate
McGarry, Javon Jackson, Stevie Holland ... and many more!

Finally, The Jazz Session Cause of the Month this month is Musicians'
Village in New Orleans. Details about the Village and how you can
help can be found later in this message.

Here's the detailed update for this week:

THE JAZZ SESSION #41: EDDIE DANIELS. Jason Crane interviews
clarinetist and tenor saxophonist Eddie Daniels in the first of three
Jazz Session shows recorded live at the 2008 Tanglewood Jazz Festival
in Lenox, MA. Daniels played the fest with many of the same musicians
who appear on his 2-CD live album Homecoming (IPO Recordings, 2007).
Daniels got his start as a saxophonist with the Thad Jones & Mel
Lewis big band, and then launched a successful solo career that took
the clarinet to new heights. He started performing on saxophone again
in 2005 and now uses both instruments in his sets. During the
interview, you’ll hear Daniels receive a fateful phone call that
changes the nature of his performance at the festival.

CONTEST: Win a copy of Eddie Daniels’ Homecoming: Live At The
Iridium! To win, be one of the first three people to send an e-mail
to contest at thejazzsession.com. Please put “Eddie” in the subject
line! (Note: Listeners who’ve won in the last 30 days need to sit
this one out. Thanks!)

LISTEN:

<http://thejazzsession.com/2008/09/08/the-jazz-session-41-eddie-
daniels/>

Here's how to listen:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open
iTunes, subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent
episode. This really helps the show grow, so please use this method
if you can:
<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

--NEW!--

TJS CAUSE OF THE MONTH(S): Musicians' Village in New Orleans

The tragedy in New Orleans was a turning point in my life, even
though I’ve never been there. For me, it was the single most glaring
example of what’s wrong with our government and right with our
nation. I’ve been featuring New Orleans charities — particularly
those that deal with cultural restoration — in my Cause of the Month
for quite a while now. I’m proud to announce the newest addition:

Musicians’ Village was conceived by New Orleans natives (and jazz
musicians) Harry Connick, Jr. and Branford Marsalis. Musicians’
Village will provide a home for both the artists who have defined the
city’s culture and the sounds that have shaped the musical vernacular
of the world.

Please help these folks do what they do by visiting their Web site:
<http://www.nolamusiciansvillage.com/>

And keep an eye on http://thejazzsession.com in the upcoming weeks
for a show featuring residents of Musicians' Village.

Thanks.

2008 TANGLEWOOD JAZZ FESTIVAL

Labor Day weekend means jazz in my hometown of Lenox, Massachusetts.
You can reach my coverage of the three-day Tanglewood Jazz Festival
here:

DAY 1:
<http://thejazzsession.com/2008/08/30/tanglewood-jazz-festival-day-1/>

DAY 2:
<http://thejazzsession.com/2008/08/31/2008-tanglewood-jazz-festival-
day-2/>

DAY 3:
<http://thejazzsession.com/2008/08/31/2008-tanglewood-jazz-festival-
day-3/>

A more extensive review will be published soon at AllAboutJazz.com.

ALL ABOUT JAZZ

My newest article for AAJ is a transcription of my interview with
saxophonist Donny McCaslin. Visit <http://allaboutjazz.com> to read it.

That's the update. I'll talk to you again soon.

Thanks again for being part of my little world. I'm glad to have you
in it.

Peace and love.

See you on the scene,

Jason