[JPL] Take 6

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Mon Sep 8 21:47:04 EDT 2008

This week I got Take 6's new CD, "The Standard" and I am totally taken with
it, especially their version of Seven steps to Heaven.   There are cuts with
Jon Hendricks, Al Jarreau and George Benson plus others.  This is a
refreshing release that gives me a different sound in my vocal slot.  It has
a lot of energy, and although more produced than I usually like, it is a big
hit here at K-Jazz.  I have always enjoyed their sense of syncopation and
harmony, but they don't do a lot of jazz, usually sticking to gospel except
for a few guest spots like the one with Nnenna Freelon on Straighten up and
Fly Right.  Hearing a new CD like this, with so many of the right
ingredients is ONE of the things that I love about my job.  I bet another
Grammy for Take 6 on this one.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix