[JPL] Take 6

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 10:49:23 EDT 2008

I agree Blaise. The surface sound of this group can be mis-leading but it's done mainly for crossover appeal. At times there is a poppish/soul vibe they have which mainly comes from the texture of some of the voices and note choices when improvising and this may make some jazz programmers hesitant. I would only say if you haven't given this CD a shot...you're missing out...particularly on the first five or six tracks.

Listening more deeply though you realize their arrangements are seriously layered harmonically and they swing. Big band arrangers can get something from these guys and Gordon Goodwin did as one example. Cedric...their bass singer...does most of their arranging and he IS a serious jazz arranger. Their pitch and time is amazing and I personally think if they choose to sing straight up jazz, and "The Standard" is about as close as they've come on recording...they would be in their own league for vocal ensembles.

Jae Sinnett