[JPL] McCoy Tyner and the Guitars

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 20:53:11 EDT 2008

Curious as to what folks think of this new McCoy Tyner release with the guitar players. For me it's hit and miss. Scofield and Frisell sound great and they fit. Bela sounds okay. Don't have a clue as to what Marc Ribot is doing. Does he? In my view he almost ruins this CD. On the improvisational tracks it's okay because he doesn't have to prove he knows what he is doing. On "Passion Dance" it's almost unbearable to listen to him. I bypassed the third track he played on. Considering there are only three or four changes in "Passion" and is played with a swinging feel he apparently has little understanding of tonal center or how to swing and simply play in time. It's like he's in a room by himself playing by himself...detached from everything. I mean really...I love McCoy but that is stunningly bad. Thankfully Jack and Ron sound great and keep things together.

Jae Sinnett