[JPL] Next week on satellite radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 10:04:30 EDT 2008

BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (15-21 September 2006)

This Monday, September 15th we’ll present another edition of our feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of multi-Grammy-nominated saxophonist, BILL EVANS! We’ll hear Bill’s whole musical story including his work with Miles Davis, John McLaughlin & Mahavishnu, his many all-star collaborations and of course his award-winning solo work. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we’ll place the spotlight  on the great saxophonist BILL EVANS on MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS.

Last year a major milestone was reached in the history of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino when she presented her 100th show.  To do justice to the importance of this great moment Michelle reached out to all the artists in the jazzy-jamband genre and asked for their input and comments.  It became a 3-hour special edition of the show and this week we’ll give you Hour Three of that special featuring comments and music from Alan Evans of Soulive, Adam Dorn of Mocean Worker and the great organist Dr. Lonnie Smith.  She’ll also feature music from Club D’Elf, The Boston Horns, DJ Logic, Robert Walter and Will Bernard. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific and this week enjoy Hour Three of Michelle’s 100th Jammin’ Jazz Show!

Twice this week, join us for CHICO HAMILTON & EUPHORIA FROM THE XM PERFORMANCE THEATRE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz. You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you to our XM Performance Theatre at the XM Mothership in Washington, DC to sample the wit, wisdom, groove and chops of the NEA jazz master, Chico Hamilton, and his band of youngbloods as they thrill the crowd with Chico’s great stories and hot tunes! It’s CHICO HAMILTON & EUPHORIA FROM THE XM PERFORMANCE THEATRE on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Well, you’ve heard us mention that by all accounts, fusion began at about 1966 with Chico Hamilton’s ground-breaking release “The Dealer” when Chico’s new groove and Larry Coryell’s outrageous electric guitar sound in a jazz setting changed the music forever.  Well, there were others at that time with similar ideas and we’re going to hear from all of them this Friday.  Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a fusion classic from the mid-60’s from greats like Chico, Larry Coryell, Gary Burton, Keith Jarrett, Miles Davis, Gabor Szabo, Pat Martino and more.  We’re going back to the beginning for Mid-60’s Fusion Classics on this edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s show Mark presents another edition of his re-occurring  feature titled “Under The Radar” as Mark plays some of the under-appreciated artists from two major music centers…Chicago and Vancouver.  You’ll hear Canadian group Metalwood and bassist Chris Tarry, as well as some of Chicago’s local heroes like John Mouder, Grazyna Auguscik, Nicole Mitchell and John McLean on this week’s edition of THE MOJA REPORT!

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, September 20th, we'll spend the day with one of the most revered, versatile and influential artists in all of jazz history on the day before his 87th birthday with a special presentation titled HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHICO HAMILTON!  Join Russ Davis as he visits with Chico in his penthouse apartment overlooking the East River in Manhattan as well as at XM in Washington, DC. Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). He’s a great drummer, composer, bandleader, educator, musical visionary, NEA Jazz Master, Birthday Boy and this week, our special guest. It's HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHICO HAMILTON on Saturday’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
This Sunday, September 21st, will be another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz as we offer you music from 6 new releases for the first time.

First, we wish a very happy 87th birthday this Sunday to the ageless wonder, Forestorn “Chico” Hamilton.  How would you want to celebrate your 87th?  Well, Chico decided to celebrate by releasing another new CD, his fourth this year!  This one is a live performance at the 1994 Artpark Jazz Fest in Lewiston, NY and features a trio of the young, master bassist Matthew Garrison, Chico’s favorite young guitarist, Cary DeNigiris and of course Chico on the drums.  Get ready to groove with The Chico Hamilton Trio “Live @ Artpark!”

Then, one of the world’s most famous and popular trumpeters, Randy Brecker, returns to a place that is near and dear to his heart with he new CD titled “Randy In Brasil.” In 1988 Randy won a Grammy award for his album “Into The Sun,” which was his impression of the music of Brazil in his own compositions. Well, on his latest he actually traveled to Brazil to work with some of that great, musical country’s finest players to once again write his own songs with Brazilain influence but also to take on some of the classic songs of Brazilian composers like Ivan Lins, Djavan and Gilberto Gil. The results are very pleasant indeed on “Randy In Brasil!”

You’ll hear multi-instrumentalist and composer, Kenny Garrett, as he heads to Broadway for a new one titled “Sketches Of MD: Live @ The Iridium.” Kenny has been known as one of the most prolific writers and finest alto players in jazz for years, but this time he stretches out on bass clarinet, organ and synthesizer and revs up a red hot band that features a special guest, tenor legend Pharoah Sanders, working out on some of Kenny’s finest songs.  It’s one hot night in one of New York’s most famous jazz clubs on Kenny Garrett’s new CD “Sketches Of MD: Live @ The Iridium.”

One of the fun things about following modern jazz is to chart the development of young players as they progress in their careers. After working with the likes of David Murray, Cassandra Wilson and Vernon Reid, Baltimore pianist Lafayette Gilchrist takes a giant leap forward on his new CD “Soul Progressin’” with the help of his band New Volcanoes.  The power in this new mostly-acoustic project comes from superior playing and deep compositions filled with social consciousness and great groove.

Then it’s the work of two brilliant vocalists.  Patricia Barber takes on the music of one of her personal musical heroes with her new CD “The Cole Porter Mix.”  The classic songs of one of the greatest writers of the 20th century never sounded so unique until Ms. Barber takes control. Then, it’s New York-area vocalist Kate McGarry, and her new CD "If Less Is More…Nothing Is Everything." Well, the title makes you think, and so does the music, as Kate offers us her own compositions as well as a collection of standards with everything from Irving Berlin to Bob Dylan and a nice taste of Brazil with songs from Jobim and Djavan.

So listen for these six new releases beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, September 21st, here on Beyond Jazz. It’s another PREMIER SUNDAY.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
33 West 60th Street