[JPL] Jazz in France

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 20:18:03 EDT 2008

You could probably start with the 1949 Paris Jazz Festival, there are
recordings around of Bird's and Miles' performances:

Bird Slays French
Paris Jazz Festival, 1949

As impressive as today's festival lineups are, they can never boast a
roster like this: Charlie Parker, Miles Davis,
Oran "hot Lips" Page, Max Roach, Don Byas, Tadd Dameron, James Moody,
Kenny Clarke and Sidney Bechet.
The Paris Jazz Festival of 1949 had all that and more. Though it
wasn't the first event of its kind (Jimmy Heath
recalls playing at the Paris fest a year earlier with the Howard
McGhee Sextet de Bebop), it was the first to garner
international attention, largely due to Bird's presence. Here's an
excerpt from Marian McPartland's review in the
July 1, 1949, issue of DownBeat:
"Bringing the boppers to the edges of their seats was the Charlie
Parker Quintet, with Kenny Dorham, trumpet; Al
Haig, piano; Tommy Potter, bass; and Max Roach, drums. The band had a
tremendous beat, and Parker,
displaying his prodigious technique and originality of ideas, wove in
and out of the rhythmic patterns laid down by
Roach to the accompaniment of ecstatic cries of 'Formidable!' from the
fanatics. But whether their tastes were
Bechet or Parker, for a whole week 25,000 jazz fans were in their
glory nightly. Vive le jazz!"

And of course, Sidney Bechet moved to Paris before 1950, good luck ... N

--
====
Nou Dadoun