[JPL] McCoy Tyner, Marc Ribot, Jae Sinnett

Bill Barton seekandlisten at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 20:53:12 EDT 2008

<<From: Jae Sinnett <jaejazz at yahoo.com>
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [JPL] McCoy Tyner and the Guitars
Curious as to what folks think of this new McCoy Tyner release with the
guitar players. For me it's hit and miss. Scofield and Frisell sound great
and they fit. Bela sounds okay. Don't have a clue as to what Marc Ribot is
doing. Does he? In my view he almost ruins this CD. On the improvisational
tracks it's okay because he doesn't have to prove he knows what he is doing.
On "Passion Dance" it's almost unbearable to listen to him. I bypassed the
third track he played on. Considering there are only three or four changes
in "Passion" and is played with a swinging feel he apparently has little
understanding of tonal center or how to swing and simply play in time. It's
like he's in a room by himself playing by himself...detached from
everything. I mean really...I love McCoy but that is stunningly bad.
Thankfully Jack and Ron sound great and keep things together.
Jae Sinnett>>

Well, everyone hears things differently, that's for sure.  My copy of the
discs arrived this afternoon and I was listening to it as I read this post.
I completely and empahatically disagree.  For my taste, Ribot sounds fine.
And the producers deserve kudos for putting that somewhat "out" free improv
joining Ribot and McCoy at the beginning of the CD.  It's good to hear and
see Tyner stretching; the man doesn't stand still.  The CD and DVD feature -
for me - some of the most adventurous playing he's done recently that's been
captured on recordings.

Bright moments,
Bill Barton