[JPL] Jazz in France

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 11:16:52 EDT 2008

Lazaro...I'm curious if you have info on the France Musician's Union? A source of sorts. That's an interesting avenue but I'm coming up with blanks on my searching.

Eric, you are right in that the Harlem Hellfighters played an important role in bringing the American sound to France. Something interesting to note about them...because of the overt segregation in the US military...particularly during the first WW they were put in French military control oddly enough. Many of the musicians in that infantry unit were permitted to perform in a certain area of France as a result. I'm quite sure that wouldn't have been possible had there been a different chain of command for them under the circumstances...consequently...and perhaps...altering the view France started developing towards American jazz.

Jae Sinnett