[JPL] McCoy Tyner, Marc Ribot, Jae Sinnett

s8nochaser at aol.com s8nochaser at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 12:26:06 EDT 2008

 I'd have to say that "Guitars" is pretty much all 'hit' and little 'miss.'
The tune Jae points towards is the one clunker; Ribot bent on *being edgy* at all cost.....his other contributions just fine, really.

Watching the DVD first was exhilarating to me and gave insight to how some of the sessions went. The first Bela Fleck composition (on the CD) which is in the DVD , is magnificent! It's Bela's tune, but sounds like a McCoy original........McCoy LOVED it, and on the DVD Jack simply calls out 'Next' because the results were so fine, and Tyner, grinning from ear to ear says '....it's so musical."

After McCoy's well known yet seemingly highly secret health problems over the last 2-3 years, it's wonderful to me to witness his continued adaptation to his senior years. He had a kind of what I'd like to call short period of limbo, where he was no longer "able to leap tall buildings with a single bound."

"Guitars" overall ,IMO, is a fantastic document of one of our Grand Master aging gracefully.

Mike Schwartz/KSJS