[JPL] McCoy Tyner, Marc Ribot, Jae Sinnett

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 13:57:33 EDT 2008

Mike, I think some overlooked the fact that I actually like the CD and even played some of it last night on my show and will continue to. Believe me I have no problem with someone playing with "an edge" but we have to be careful in using that description as a justification for not playing musically. Not saying that's what you were doing. There is a difference in playing "edgy" musically and not so as I'm sure you know this. In my view there is nothing musical "or just fine" in what Marc Ribot is doing here. Some could say that it's an subjective argument. Perhaps but it's clear to me.

The problem I have with what he is doing on "Passion" ...to be more specific... is that once you are playing a "tune" then there is a certain amount of obligation you have to play it based on what it asks of you. I say it this way because one of the most asked questions from students is how do you know what to play in a piece...meaning the improvisation. Even professional players deal with this all the time. If you have an F7 then you're expected to play over an F7. I tell them the composition will give you the answers IF you know the song and your facility is capable of dealing with it technically. Now if McCoy said..."just play man...what you feel and hear. Don't worry about the changes or swingin...we'll take care of that"...then there ya go. I doubt if that's what he was thinking but you never know. It sounds like Marc doesn't really know the song or has the facility to deal with it if he did. If you have a written set of chord changes which the tune
 does...in a certain key...a specific time and feel...then you have to deal with that to present the composition musically. McCoy, Ron and Jack are but not him.

I guess some think it's cool to not play the changes when there are or not swing when everyone else is. Not me.

Jae Sinnett