[JPL] Bheki Mseleku Dies

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Fri Sep 12 14:19:27 EDT 2008

Aloha Arturo,

Thanks for posting this - very sorry to hear of his passing.  I enjoyed
his music immensely.

The light is on, but dimmer once again.

Brad

Dr. Brad Stone
Music Director (Jazz, Blues World)
Faculty Advisor
KSJS 90.5 FM
1 Washington Square
San Jose State University
San Jose, CA   95192-0094

Home Office:
9381 Durango Lane
Gilroy, CA   95020
Subject: [JPL] Bheki Mseleku Dies

>From All About Jazz

Jazz Maestro Bheki Mseleku Dies

RENOWNED jazz musician Bheki Mseleku has died at the age of 53 after a
long
battle with diabetes.
"He was a supremely talented creative visionary," Arts and Culture
Minister
Pallo Jordan said.

Jordan said the KwaZulu-Natal-born "piano maestro" died in the U K on
Monday.

Jordan said Mseleku had been living in the UK and seemed to have
disappeared
from the live- music scene in South Africa.

Born in Lamontville, KwaZulu- Natal, Mseleku was from an artistic
family,
which took charge when he taught himself to play various instruments.

In 1975, he moved to Johannesburg, where he joined Spirits Rejoice and
established himself as a remarkable organist.

Though Mseleku was a versatile instrumentalist, he was greatly attracted
jazz.

He exploded into the jazz mainstream when he made his debut at the
acclaimed
Ronnie Scott's in London.

"Mseleku was able to put African genius that had defied man-made
structural
constraints when it was easy to blame apartheid," said Jordan.

"We offer our condolences to his wife, family, relatives, friends and
the
jazz fraternity."

I remember sometime in the mid-90s when Bheki first recorded for Verve,
it
was either a Gavin or perhaps a Jazz Times convention when former Verve
radio rep, Rachel Lewis? invited some of the radio panel to a
performance by
Bheki at a small cellar club in the Village and there was Mseleku
playing
the piano with a sax strapped on over his back, several times while
comping
he would bring the sax around to the front and start playing
it.....nice!!!!!

Arturo