[JPL] Jazz in France

David Johnson djohnso2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 15:07:45 EDT 2008

Jae,

I'll second Larry's recommendation on MAKING JAZZ FRENCH.  Also check around online for the Jazz in Paris CD series, which has a number of titles you might find of use.  Last but not least,  try  to find Tyler Stovall's  Paris Noir:  African-Americans in the City of Light, a good book about the 20th-century black expatriate community in general.  I copped the title for a Night Lights program, which focuses on the 1945-1970 period, but here's a link just in case you might find it of any value:

http://nightlights.blogs.wfiu.org/paris-noir-african-american-musicians-in-france-2/

Bill Moody's book THE JAZZ EXILES might be helpful as well.

David Brent Johnson
Night Lights
WFIU-Bloomington, IN