[JPL] Nina Simone Special for Fall 2008

Andy.Cahn at sonybmg.com Andy.Cahn at sonybmg.com
Fri Sep 12 14:38:36 EDT 2008

Dear Programmer -

Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to air the
following JOYRIDE MEDIA one-hour radio special TO BE FREE: THE NINA
SIMONE STORY.  The program will be ready for broadcasts beginning
October 2008.

You can reply to this email or use the online signup form
<http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=p72nsqGRHVRyxwn1Dq83hYg>
at www.tinyurl.com/NinaSimone2008

Please also let me know if you are definitely not interested and I will
remove you from this list.

Thanks,

Andy Cahn
Sony BMG Commercial Music Group
Sr Director, Artist and Catalog Development
550 Madison Ave, 18th floor
New York, NY 10022
212-833-6279
andy.cahn at sonybmg.com
http://blogs.legacyrecordings.com/podcast

TO BE FREE: THE NINA SIMONE STORY

** NEW ONE-HOUR RADIO SPECIAL ABOUT NINA SIMONE'S LIFE AND MUSIC SET TO
PREMIERE OCT 2008 **

NINA SIMONE WAS AS POWERFUL AND COMPLEX A PERSON AS THE MUSIC SHE
PLAYED.  SHE CALLED IT "BLACK CLASSICAL MUSIC," AND IT RESISTS ALL
DEFINITIONS.  IT'S JAZZ, RHYTHM AND BLUES, FOLK, GOSPEL - IT'S A
COMBINATION AS RICH AS THE CULTURE.

LIKE ANY LEGEND, NINA SIMONE BECAME A SYMBOL FOR PEOPLE AND MOVEMENTS
THROUGH THE YEARS, BUT HOWEVER SHE WAS FIRST AND FOREMOST A PERFORMER.
SHE ACTED OUT THE STORY OF EACH SONG AS IF IT HAPPENED TO HER JUST
YESTERDAY.

THIS HOUR, WE'LL HEAR ABOUT THE MUSIC AND LIFE OF NINA SIMONE FROM
COLLEAGUES AND FRIENDS - ODETTA, CAMILLE YARBROUGH, PATTI LABELLE,
GUITARIST AL SCHACKMAN, PATTI SMITH, JOURNALIST DAVID NATHAN, WBGO-FM DJ
MICHAEL BOURNE AND OTHERS.

Music throughout this program includes some of her trademark number plus
previously unreleased tracks now available on the new Legacy Recordings
deluxe box set, TO BE FREE: THE NINA SIMONE STORY.

Produced by JOYRIDE MEDIA, creators of acclaimed music documentaries
featuring artists like Bob Dylan, Benny Goodman, Johnny Cash, and many
others.

Hosted by Simone, acclaimed vocalist and daughter of Nina Simone.  More
details are online at www.simonesworld.com

Broadcast window begins October 2008.    Programs are available at no
cost all USA radio stations with FM, AM, or HD signals.   Each hour
includes breaks for local spots and no embedded national spot.

ANDY CAHN - 212-833-6279, andy.cahn at sonybmg.com

ERIC MOLK - 212-833-5389, eric.molk at sonybmg.com

This program includes some material that was also used in Joyride
Media's 2006 special, Nina Simone: Young Gifted and Black, as well as
new interview footage and previously unreleased music that was not
available at the time.