[JPL] Before & After with Jeremy Pelt

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Sep 12 23:39:23 EDT 2008

Hey Larry,

Terrific read and range of selections, as always.  It's great that JazzTimes
let's these comments run to such considerable length, and that Pelt fills
the space with a knowing appreciation of the records, even those he's not
familiar with.  His comments about Nat Adderley's good feeling and Clark
Terry's impeccable solos are beautiful.  That he perceives elements of
anti-feeling among some players today-- that seems endemic to the age and a
music that's constantly in search of audience, whereas Cannon and Nat played
"music of the people" because there was always a crowd eager for their brand
of "greasy soul."   But times and tastes have changed, so I'm grateful that
great players like Pelt are still trying to make something soulful happen,
even if it requires paying "tribute."

Tom Reney

"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8-11 p.m.