[JPL] Jazz in France

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 08:02:59 EDT 2008

Jae,

I don't have specifics. You might try contacting the Senators web
site, the site dedicated to the music of Steve Lacy, because that's
who told me about all of that. It happened in the mid to late-90's
that attitudes in the French Union changed. The union began to
encourage work in France going to French jazz musicians and began to
discourage jobs going to, well, Steve Lacy for one. That was a primary
reason for him touring again in the States so much and, eventually,
moving back here. I recall reading articles in the American press
about it probably in the mid-1990's.

Also, the Dizzy Gillespie Orchestra concert at the Salle Pleyel in
Paris, 1948, was a watershed moment in French jazz as many musicians
who attended it decided to play bebop. They were helped in that effort
when trumpeter Benny Bailey, saxophonist James Moody and drummer Kenny
Clarke all left Dizzy's band to stay in France, eventually providing
first hand teaching experience to the musicians turned on by the
concert and "new" music. Page 383 of Allyn Shipton's 2nd edition of "A
New History of Jazz." Have you, by the way, checked out the Dizzy
Gillespie Big Band with Monk live at The Spotlite, 1946, on Uptown?

LV