[JPL] trivia back atcha

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Sun Sep 14 15:14:58 EDT 2008

Oh yeah, it was Mae West with Duke and several bandmembers on camera,
including Cootie Williams, Barney Bigard, Joe Nanton, Sonny Greer, and
probably Freddie Jenkins playing violin.  Movie was "Belle of the Nineties,"
and Mae recorded "My Old Flame" with the band in addition to singing it in
the movie.  There were other songs by Johnston and Coslow (Troubled Waters,
Cocktails for Two, Ebony Rhapsody) that Duke recorded for Victor in '34,
most featuring Ivie Anderson.

Here's a clip from the movie on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEeIk-f60ac