[JPL] Before & After with Jeremy Pel

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 11:51:59 EDT 2008

Nice session. Have pulled out several of these records. Great
selection. Didn't know Nicholas Payton had trouble with his lip; the
Joe Wilder "Cherokee" is so "medium" and witty; got a kick out of
hearing the 3 Cohens again. I like Coung Vu more than he does, and Vu
dosn't just blow through the mouthpiece -- he has a method of creating
that distortion in the horn, and uses live electronics to manipulate
the sound, too.

As to the Miles From India project being contrived -- there have
always been one-off kinds of productions like this in jazz, and they
were usually retrospective in nature. I mean, Bunny Berigan's album of
Bix numbers, etc. I don't think anyone hearing that album was
thinking, Hey, this group is going to tour and develop musically. He
makes some valid points though especially concerning Roney. That album
with Pharoah Sanders and Chick Corea seemed to stake out more personal
territory for him. Geri Allen, perhaps, better "escaped" the
strictures of past influences in developing her own approach to sound
and improvisation.

Thanks for linking the article. Jeremy is happening.

Lazaro Vega
Blue Lake Public Radio