[JPL] NEW CHET BAKER STUDIO CD COMING OCT. 14, 2008 ON ENJA RECORDS

Forrest Faubion forrestfaubion at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 17:15:21 EDT 2008

NEW CHET BAKER STUDIO CD COMING OCT. 14, 2008 ON ENJA RECORDS

Hard to believe that 20 years after his tragic death a new Chet Baker Studio
session will be released on ENJA Records on Oct. 14, 2008.  Liner notes by
Scott Yanow.  More details about the title below.

We are working up a plan for servicing radio and I would be curious how many
stations would be interested in being serviced on a historical CD like "CHET
IN CHICAGO".  This CD was recorded in 1986 and was his last known studio
session in the United States.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Forrest Faubion
forrestfaubion at gmail.com
Allegro

CHET BAKER & The Bradley Young Trio: "Chet In Chicago"
(The Legacy, Vol. 5)

USA STREET DATE: 10/14/08

*A previously unreleased studio session, never before released in any form.
*_________________________________________________________________________

Chet Baker, trumpet, vocal/Bradley Young, piano/Larry Gray, bass/Rusty
Jones, drums

Guest (on # 4, 5, 7):  Ed Petersen, tenor saxophone

1. OLD DEVIL MOON 9:17  2. IT'S YOU OR NO ONE 6:43  3. WE'LL BE TOGETHER
AGAIN 7:08  4. ORNITHOLOGY 7:38  5. CRAZY RHYTHM 5:08  6. MY FUNNY VALENTINE
6:25  7. SIPPIN' AT BELLS 5:44  8. SOLAR 5:59

Trumpeter Chet Baker became known in the 1950s as one of the "cool cats."
His lyrical blowing, distinguished by a seemingly endless melodic
inventiveness and a dark, calm tone, matured over the years and reached its
artistic peak in the 1970s and '80s when he mostly performed in Europe where
he was regarded a "living jazz legend." When visiting his home country in
May 1986 Baker was invited by Chicagoan pianist Bradley Young to be the main
man in a well-recorded studio session. Never released before, "Chet In
Chicago" features the great trumpeter in superb form fronting a
straight-ahead All-American band.

Starting out with an extraordinary arrangement of "Old Devil Moon", the
album climbs to its lyrical height in Chet's touching interpretation of the
lovely ballad "We'll Be Together Again." However, the session surprisingly
is dominated by uptempo tunes including famous bebop racehorses like Charlie
Parker's "Ornithology" and Miles Davis' "Sippin' At Bells." Assisted by a
very fine rhythm section (Rusty Jones was George Shearing's drummer from
1972 to 1978, Larry Gray is currently with Ramsey Lewis), the trumpeter
displays his admirable skills with relaxation and consummate ease. In three
of the fast tunes he is challenged by tenorist Ed Petersen, one of Chicago's
best reedplayers and now a jazz professor at the University of New Orleans.
For his vocal feature, Chet Baker chose one of his favorites, "My Funny
Valentine", his signature tune since his early days with Gerry Mulligan.

Twenty years after Chet Baker's untimely death in Amsterdam (1988), the
release of this long-time forgotten studio recording serves as a worthy
tribute to one of the great, unmistakable improvisers in jazz. "Chet In
Chicago" is released as the fifth volume of the successful CHET BAKER LEGACY
series co-produced by CCB (Chet & Carol Baker Productions) and ENJA RECORDS.
A bonus track from the session ("Moment's Notice") is reserved for the vinyl
release.

The Chet Baker Legacy:
ENJ-9021 2 -- Vol. 1: The Legacy (rec. 1987, with the NDR Big Band)
ENJ-9077 2 -- Vol. 2: I Remember You (rec. 1985, quartet with Doug Raney)
ENJ-9337 2 -- Vol. 3: Why Shouldn't You Cry (rec. 1978-1987 with Wolfgang
Lackerschmid)
ENJ-9353 2 -- Vol. 4: Oh You Crazy Moon (rec. 1978, quartet with Phil
Markowitz)

Distributed in the USA by the Allegro Media Group (Allegro/NAIL/NewSound)
www.allegromediagroup.com    1-800-288-2007