[JPL] Value in Posting Play Lists

jctrane at gmail.com jctrane at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:32:15 EDT 2008

My 2 cents on the value (or not) of posting playlists, from the
perspective of a small, community radio station without deep pockets:
     Is posting to JPL "self-serving"? Of course it is. We post lists
in order to encourage service from distributors. This service, (such
as it is) in turn allows us to give exposure to artists and keep
listeners apprised as to 'what's happenin' in the music. [Of course
when the term 'self-serving' is meant to refer to the egos of
individuals wishing to promote themselves, rather than the music and
its' creators, I agree with the criticism].
    On a more personal level, i find that playlists are informative. I
can view how respected, knowledgeable programmers put their shows
together. I can see the specific new CDs these folks are playing, and
from that, the music that is being distributed and are 'must gets'.
[I've been doing jazz programming for a dozen years (and listening for
way more than 50) and there is always something to be learned].
    And, as other folks on this list have said: Just like on junk
TV...ya' can always hit the 'delete' button if you find that playlists
are redundant, self-promoting, distractions.
      Yours in the music...   Gene Abkarian  KRFC  Ft Collins