[JPL] R.I.P. Norman Whitfield, Motown Studio/Songwriting Ace

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 18 10:41:04 EDT 2008

R.I.P. Norman Whitfield, Motown Studio/Songwriting Ace
The producer and songwriter who displaced Smokey Robinson as the lead
producer for the Temptations and helped usher Motown into its psychedelic,
socially conscious era has gone to a session in the great Studio A in the
sky.

He leaves behind a string of truly potent singles and album tracks from the
mid-late 1960s and early '70s. (Well, those and the songs he did with Rose
Royce on his own label, after leaving Motown in 1975.)

Here are a few of Whitfield's greatest hits (and near-misses), most of them
co-written by Barrett Strong. Some stone-cold classics here, even if Chris
Tucker and Jackie Chan did do their best to ruin "War" in "Rush Hour."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2008/09/rip_norman_whitfield.html