[JPL] Next week on satellite radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 18 11:11:50 EDT 2008

One last happy birthday salute to Chico Hamilton…a week-long salute to the wonders of the Hammond B3 Organ in MOJA…and a couple of new releases from two of the heavyweights of jazz…come join us in a Brave, Cool World!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (22-28 September 2008)

This Monday, September 22nd we’ll present a very special “Happy Birthday” edition of our feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour with drummer, composer, bandleader, educator and NEA Jazz Master, CHICO HAMILTON who celebrates his 87th birthday on September 21st. We’ll hear Chico’s whole musical story from his beginnings in his hometown of Los Angeles to New York and the evolution of his music from big band, to be bop, to what is possibly the very first fusion record ever, the ground-breaking album “The Dealer,” to his incredible output in the 21st century. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we’ll place the spotlight on the birthday boy, the great CHICO HAMILTON on MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle joins in on our week-long celebration of the wonders of the Hammond Organ in MOJA as she presents a show she calls Vitamin B3 including the work of Jack McDuff, Jimmy Smith, Groove Holmes, Robert Walter and more!

Join us twice this week for ROBERT WALTER’S SUPER HEAVY ORGAN TOUR LIVE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/ 6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll continue our week-long salute to the wonders of the Hammond B3 in MOJA as we return to Quincy California for another great set from the High Sierra Music Fest, this time featuring organ master Robert Walter, joined by Skerik, James Singelton, and Johnny Vidocovitch to lay down a set from the 2006 festival that jams from the first note to the last! It’s ROBERT WALTER’S SUPER HEAVY ORGAN TOUR LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Well, since we’re investigating the wonders of the incredible Hammond B3 organ in MOJA all this week, you know we can’t forget it for Fusion Friday. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece from the likes of Jimmy Smith, Groove Holmes, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Jack McDuff and more as we present the Greatest Fusion Hits of the Hammond B3 Organ on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark joins in on our look at the joys of the Hamond B3 Organ in MOJA with a show he calls "The Buffalo Organ Triangle" as he plays classic organ work from artists who hail from the Buffalo, Philadelphia, Newark area like Charles Earland, Larry Young, Papa John DeFrancesco and more.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, September 27th, we'll continue a week-long celebration of the Hammond B3 Organ in MOJA as we spend the day with five of the current greats of the instrument on a special presentation titled GETTING ORGANIZED!  Join Michelle Sammartino and Russ Davis as they hang with five great artists who use the classic instrument, the Hammond B3 organ, to make their musical statements. You’ll hear from Dr. Lonnie Smith, Joey DeFrancesco, Larry Goldings, John Medeski and Robert Walter, talking organ then playing organ. Interview segments followed by music begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's GETTING ORGANIZED, a celebration of the Hammond B3 in MOJA on this Saturday’s WORDS & MUSIC.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
This Sunday, September 28th, will be another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz as we offer you music from 2 new releases created by two of the heavyweight artists in jazz today.

First, you’ll hear from one of the living legends of jazz, the master pianist and composer, McCoy Tyner, who does something he’s never done before on his new CD simply titled “Guitar” Now McCoy has most certainly played in many a trio setting and he put together a trio that is as good as it gets with Ron Carter on bass and Jack DeJohnette on drums.  But then he invited 5 of the most famous players of stringed instruments of their generation to join in and we’re talking guitarists John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Derek Trucks and Marc Ribot, plus for a little extra flavor, Bela Fleck on banjo. The results are unique and fantastic on “Guitar!”

Then it’s the versatile, award-winning master of the bass, the great composer and bandleader Dave Holland as he makes changes in his lineup once again, shifting from his quintet and big band formats to a sextet on his new CD “Pass It On.” Dave is once again joined by longtime associate, trombonist Robin Eubanks, but other than that the new lineup is comprised almost completely of new players.  He adds acclaimed pianist Mulgrew Miller to the band and once again it’s a collection of great compositions by Dave and Mr. Eubanks, all played at the highest level on Dave Holland’s new CD “Pass It On.”

So listen for these two new releases beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, September 28th, here on Beyond Jazz. It’s another PREMIER SUNDAY.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.