[JPL] Posting Playlists

Kathryn Smith katesmith999 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 12:58:08 EDT 2008

Hi Bill et all

Kate Smith here in Chicago.

Yes, I do enjoy receiving playlists through the JPL
especially when it comes from a host at a station that does not have a well organized, communicative/supportive music director at the helm.

Some hosts who also post on the JPL are kind enough to batch blast the promoters,
while others do not.
When that occurs, as someone mentioned earlier... scan the Subject line and click delete.

I have often coached music directors as well as individual hosts to post on the JPL because it has the potential to bring new product service their way.

Another mentioned going to the website to see playlists.
As a promoter, I scan playlists for our artists (and have made the recommendation more than once to place the artists name at the beginning, or cap and bold if in the middle);
as well as, for potential hosts playing specific genres.

If working jazz, that's one set of stations being serviced.  Depending on the jazz genre it could be 200 or 350 stations.  Add Latin you're up to 350-400 stations.  Then world + a Triple A crossover... we are now possibly attempting to keep up with 400 - 600 stations per week.

Without Media Guide – CMJ – JPL… Web searching playlists would becomes a full time position.
AND, You would be surprised how many websites are not kept up.

It would be a dream if all sites were like KSFR... where you put in the artists name and you receive a list of every show that has your artist in play.  It would also be a dream if each of the hosts posted their email address so one could acknowledge them directly for their play.
However, this system does not let you know what other artists the hosts are playing.

And going to a website that has a list of a specific hosts playlists by date... such as Moz at CINQ… works.  Although there is always the… I’ll get to it when I have time factor… because it does take ‘time’ to go through a week, or a month of playlists one at a time.  And it works because he’s the only one serviced at the station.

Media Guide… CMJ… and the JPL are the best games in town for tracking an artist... keeping up on what else is being played, by whom… definitely the JPL.  AND, as we all know, each of these systems has its limitations… but together they really work.

For me, having playlists on the JPL breaks up the monotony of hours on end of straight data input from Media Guide and CMJ.  It weaves conversations of interest… educational note… keeps one abreast of what’s happening around the world, as well as, locally… and certainly provides food for thought.  Would I go to the JPL as frequently, if not for the playlists?  Probably not.

Therefore, I would hate to see playlists go off list... casting my vote for EFFECTIVE SUBJECT LINES and delete!

- Kate.

KATE SMITH PROMOTIONS of CHICAGO

1413 Dobson Street, Suite 100
Evanston IL 60202-4810