[JPL] Announcing and Clocks

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Thu Sep 18 22:17:40 EDT 2008

There isn't any "standard" about vocals.  There are vocal shows, which are
all vocals, and all instrumental shows, but for a general mix for a station
looking at many hours of consistent programming  2 or 3 an hour has been the
norm.  But there are always exceptions, like a special on a singer.  Plus I
think people are still experimenting with this, any ideas programmers?
-------
On a stop set, what would you say if you were talking to someone in person?
Some people find it helpful to put up a picture of someone they are talking
to.

The beauty of radio is its intimacy. When I meet people they always tell me
they go to bed with me,(!) or that I take them home from work.  Just the two
of us.

That is the key to getting it right, me talking to you, my jazz buddy. Would
you ever turn around to a friend as you leave the table and say, "we will be
right back"?  Or when stating a time "Could you meet me at Yoshi's at the
top of the hour?"

Listen to commercial radio, if you can stand it for a minute, they don't
always announce the break, people get that there is a break, and you aren't
going away.  As you said focus on what is next AFTER the break, the tune,
the artist the reason to stay around.

Here are a couple of ideas for a transition

"I'm Blaise Lantana and in a minute I'll play Thelonious Monk for you on
KJZZ..."
"A little later on K-Jazz Stan Getz plays with a man he calls his soul mate"
(Kenny Barron)   "Coming up after this on KJZZ, a sax player who inspired
John Coltrane". (Sonny Rollins)  "Have you heard Ravi Shankar's daughter
sing the blues? You will in a minute on KJZZ." (Nora Jones)

Mostly I think we want to focus on the promo idea, why do I want to stay? So
little teaser tidbits help like,
"Next the only jazz musician to run for president" (Dizzy) always good in an
election year.  That's why I'm ALWAYS looking for bio information on
artists, they can make great teasers.

I think it's ok to occasionally use "we", if it includes you and the
listener
"In five minutes, we'll get into The Work Song with Cannonball Adderly".
But be careful it doesn't slip into the royal we.

I'd like to hear from some other announcers about their break ideas and
teasers.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix

Blaise,
A classic jazz track at the top of every hour and 2 or 3 vocals within the
hour - is that pretty much the rule of thumb for jazz as far as the industry

standard goes? Just asking because I simply don't know myself. I have a
vocal hour between 8PM and 9PM but I'm wondering if I need to mix more
vocals in during the other hours.

Also, what about coming into a stopset - any pointers? I have been saying
"when we come back" - maybe unfortunate- and then frontselling the next
selection or artist.

Mark Dove
"Sounds of Jazz"
"Cafe Jazz"