[JPL] Announcing and Clocks

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 22:14:26 EDT 2008

Pet peeve...hmmmm....one of mine Blaise is when I hear announcers playing to the clock at the expense of the continuity of the music. Trying to fit something in for time sake as opposed to what would be a logical and musical follow up. For me night time gives you more flexibility in programming so personally I'm not as dictated by the quarter hour. I enjoy the "feel" of a set and can tell rather quickly if the programmer is programming for the clock.

I think it's also important for us to understand that ones view of "good broadcasting" is a subjective thing. There are obvious no no's in radio but still...it's subjective. I might do things you wouldn't but they work for me. They may not for you. For example I play things that some of the "jazz" radio research says I shouldn't. Many times those tracks become my most requested pieces and sold more in the local stores than the other material I program. I base what I do on feel. I think it's important for a programmer to get to that place but it takes time. Also, these requests are by several different listeners and not...and I say this jokingly...by the repeat offenders we all have that call us ALL the time about whatever.

Great post by the way.

Jae Sinnett