[JPL] Announcing and Clocks

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Fri Sep 19 00:15:43 EDT 2008

9/18/08 8:45 PM, TomtheJazzman wrote:
> I hear some say "the correct time is 9:20"  Just say it's 9:20 if you
> give time.  I know some stations NEVER give the time since that helps
> the listeners be reminded they have to go or be somewhere and tune out
> the station to get on their way.  Interested in hearing what others do
> about announcing the time or not announcing it.
> ALOHA
> Tom

I was taught a bazillion years ago in a workshop that it's vital to give
the time until 9 a.m. because people are running around and don't have
time to look at the clock.  After that, they are surrounded by clocks
and, as Tom said, they are reminded to tune you out.  Here in my office,
I have two clocks and two computers with clocks and a wrist watch.  My
kitchen has four clocks -- the radio, the coffee maker, the microwave
and the stove.

So I have always tried to avoid time checks ... except perhaps if
there's something special coming up shortly.

Right now, though, it's academic as there are no available time slots
when I have time to do a radio show ... unless I want the midnight to 3
am shift.

-- Ed