[JPL] Announcing and Clocks

DPolletta at aol.com DPolletta at aol.com
Fri Sep 19 09:18:45 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/18/2008 8:33:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu writes:

But here  is something totally unrelated.  I thought I'd add my pet
announcing  peeve.
Ok, two,
1.  "Top of the hour", NEVER SAY THAT, EVER!! It  went out in 1850, ok maybe
if you are Irish, but I think that's "top o' the  mornin'"
2.  The royal "we", unless you have your dog on air with  you. >

Blaise-

I guess we'll have to differ on number two.  Nothing drives me crazier  than
the big "I."    We used to have an overnight announcer who  used it.  "I'm
going to feature this...I'm going to play that for  you..."I'm have a new
recording...I..I...I...I"    ARGGHH!!!   You represent your station when you talk,
not you.

My fave comes from sports announcer Brent Musberger.  He loves to say  "We've
reached the top of the hour here in Columbus...or Ann Arbor...or South
Bend."  So what time it is in Chicago or LA, Brent- 20 minutes past or  perhaps ten
until the top?

Dan Polletta
WCPN-FM