[JPL] Programming guidelines/Question

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 14:25:32 EDT 2008

Gene...it's interesting to me how similar it is programming my show and programming for a concert. This position is from actually being in the chair or being on stage. I know that some will think programming for a live concert is different than radio programming...yes and no. I program my show into the computer earlier in the day. Once in the chair I find myself making several changes as the night goes on based on feel. The same on stage...several times I will have a playlist for the group and I will change a song here and there because the "feel" dictates it. How do I put that into words? Not sure but it's a gut feeling and I think programming should be that way. Follow that gut instinct.

This is why the so called radio research is puzzling for me because to me radio programming is an in the moment art form...or should be. The moment could feel like you should play something but the research tells us we shouldn't. That's crazy. The ability to be able to do this comes with experience and time in the chair. I would bet many of the programmers on this list know what I'm talking about but at times find themselves drawn to the research models. It's a line we walk between the debate of what is good radio and what is the best musical presentation. Again for me...I tend to go with my gut and it's worked.

At times here on the list programming procedure seems to be based on criteria that seems to place the musical importance in a secondary role. The music is always first and foremost in my view. It's an art to learning how a piece of music affects the listener. You can also alter the way a listener is affected by what will follow. Sometimes a simple verbal explanation will work but it can be done through mood variation.

My question is how many actually program their show ahead of time and either leave it the way it was programmed or make changes as the show is happening? Most now I guess are playing through the computer and the logs can be set up in advance...at least here we do on our OMT system. I put my show right in front of me in the log. It's interesting really and I would love to know the views of programmers in this area.

Jae Sinnett