[JPL] Programming guidelines/Question

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 20 08:15:59 EDT 2008

Boy have I enjoyed this conversation. One thing it reminds me of is one of the controversies in my profession - psychotherapy.

Lately there has been a push in the field to engage in what is called 'evidence based practice' - and there has been huge resistance by therapists to do so. "It's an art!" we cry. "No, it's a science!" says the insurance company.

I became a national trainer in teaching therapists a specific model that is manual based, but I use jazz quite a bit as a metaphor in my training - that there is both structure and improvisation. And both are necessary, even essential, for there to be a decent product, or outcome. Or it's like a recipe - vary it for your own purposes, but everyone agrees, if you want to make a cake, there are certain ingredients you'll have to use.

So I don't think it's possible to take the DJ's fingerprint off a radio show and have a quality product. I really don't. The VERY main ingredient is the connection to the listener - that informed intimacy that is radio at it's best. You can create a generic product without it - but I hope we never lose the art of programming and the ability to improvise and enhance the connection between the listener, the music and the dj.

Mike