[JPL] Sunday Jazz Trivia

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 14:33:25 EDT 2008

> Jae Sinnett wrote:
>
>  Some jazz trivia for fun....
>>
>> 1. His seminal sessions in 1942 with Lester Young on tracks such as "Body
>> and Soul," "Tea For Two" and "Indiana" proved he was a major jazz talent to
>> the jazz world as an instrumentalist. He was also one of the first black
>> jazz musicians to have his own "radio" show. Who was he?
>>

> Nat King Cole
>
>  2. He led the BBC Dance Orchestra from the mid to late 30's after he moved
>> to Europe from the states. Upon his return he was responsible for getting
>> black musicians work in Hollywood studios and as an integral part of the
>> Musicians Union Locals. Who was he?
>>

> Benny Carter
>

> Eric Jackson
> Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
> 89.7 FM WGBH Boston
> www.wgbh.org/jazz
>

>  Jae Sinnett

I knew that Benny Carter worked with other European bands but didn't know
about his connection with the BBC Dance Orchestra; according to Grove though
(which I only looked at *after* getting the answer) he was only a
staff-arranger, did he in fact 'lead' the orchestra?  Do recordings exist?

I have a couple of the Off-The-Air aircheck LPs featuring Benny Carter on
the British label Spotlite but they're only American recordings from the
40's, one features Mary Lou Williams on piano though .. N

--
====
Nou Dadoun