[JPL] Sunday Jazz Trivia

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Sun Sep 21 16:17:59 EDT 2008

That was Benny Carter's "Swingin' the '20s," made with Earl Hines/Leroy
Vinnegar/Shelly Manne for Contemporary in 1958, and it appears to be
available as an OJC.  I bought it on a Japanese CD pressing years ago.  It's
one of Hines' few mainstream dates at that point in his career, and a
beautiful companion to Benny's other Contemporary release, Jazz Giant.

I'm most fond of Carter's trumpet playing on "Out of Nowhere," recorded with
Coleman Hawkins and Django Reinhardt in 1937.  Other players who double/d
include Ira Sullivan and Scott Robinson, who plays an arsenal of brass and
reeds on his recent tribute to Thad Jones for Arbors.  And didn't Eddie
Harris experiment with a trumpet mouthpiece on his tenor in the '70's?

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8-11 p.m.

WFCR 88.5 FM