[JPL] Playlist: Sound of Surprise 9-21-08

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 21 19:01:03 EDT 2008

Sound of Surprise
WPFW-FM
Washington DC
Sept. 21, 2008
Sundays 4-6 pm.

1) Judy Wexler [in town tomorrow night]-Comes Love (Dreams & Shadows)
2) Noah Preminger [in town tonight]-Sax of a Kind (Dry Bridge Road)
3) McCoy Tyner-Mr. P.C. (Guitars)
4) Kate McGarry-The Times They Are A-Changing (If Less Is More...)

Remembering songwriter Norman Whitfield [died 9-16]
5) Dianne Reeves-Just My Imagination (When You Know)
6) Paul Bollenback-Poppa Was a Rolling Stone (Soul Grooves)
7) The Persuasions-Runaway Child Running Wild/Cloud Nine (Street Corner Symphony)
8) The Temptations-I'm Losing You (Hitsville U.S.A.)

Mystery Musician Quiz: drummer Chico Hamilton [87th birthday today]
9) Chico Hamilton-Blue Sands (The West Coast box Set)
10) Chico Hamilton-Sidney's Theme (Original Soundtrack to Sweet Smell of Success)
11) Chico Hamilton-For Mods Only (The Dealer)
12) Chico Hamilton-Magali (Reunion)

Remembering drummer Earl Palmer [died 9-19]
13) Sarah Vaughan w/Earl Palmer-Honeysuckle Rose (The Explosive Side of Sarah Vaughan)
14) Dizzy Gillespie w/Earl Palmer-Groovin' High (Dizzy Gillespie & James Moody w/Gil Fuller)
15) Lou Rawls w/Earl Palmer-Girl From Ipanema (Live)
16) Joe Pass w/Earl Palmer-Better Days (Carol Kaye: The First Lady On Bass)

Remembering Earl Palmer Pt. 2
17) Little Richard w/Earl Palmer-Good Golly Miss Molly (16 Greatest Hits)
18) Sam Cooke w/Earl Palmer-Shake (The Man & His Music)
19) Fats Domino w/Earl Palmer-I'm Walkin' (My Blue Heaven)
20) Professor Longhair w/Earl Palmer-Tipitina (New Orleans Piano)
21) Roy Brown w/Earl Palmer-Let The Four Winds Blow (Jump Blue)

Remembering Earl Palmer Pt. 3
22) Earl Palmer & King Curtis-One Mint Julip (Saxophobia)
23) Ritchie Valens w/Earl Palmer-La Bamba (Oldies Best Hits)
24) Smiley Lewis w/Earl Palmer-One Night (The Best of Smiley Lewis)
25) Thurston Harris w/Earl Palmer-Little Bitty Pretty One (Rock & Roll Era 1957)
26) Eddie Cochran w/Earl Palmer-Summertime Blues (Rock & Roll Era 1958)
27) The Hollywood Flames w/Earl Palmer-Buzz Buzz Buzz (Rock & Roll Era 1957 Still Rockin')

Remembing Earl Palmer Pt. 4
28) Lloyd Price w/Earl Palmer-Lawdy Miss Clawdy (R&B Box Set)
29) The Righteous Brothers w/Earl Palmer-That Lovin' Feeling (Phil Spector: Back To Mono)
30) Ray Charles w/Earl Palmer-You Don't Know Me (Modern Sounds in C&W)
31) Ike & Tina Turner w/Earl Palmer-River Deep Mountain Mountain High (Phil Spector: Back To Mono)
Host: Larry Appelbaum
jumpmonk at hotmail.com