[JPL] Are Bebo & Chucho Valdés 1st father-son to play & record at Village Vanguard?

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Sun Sep 21 19:15:50 EDT 2008

While I have been listening to the amazing recording of Ramón "Bebo"
Valdés-Live at Village Vanguard it occured to if it's the first time that a
father-son or parent-child have played and recorded in the historic
Vanguard. Has Ravi recorded and released an album from the Village Vanguard?
Maybe as a sideman?

Regardless of the trivia, the Bebo Valdés-Javier Colina(bass) duet album
just out on Calle 54/Ariola is a thoroughly satisfying album, at 87 Bebo is
playing better than ever. This October 9th Bebo will turn 90 years young,
the same day as his son Jesús "Chucho" Valdés will celebrate his 67th year,
how's that for destiny? Both were also born in the suburban town of Havana,
Quivicán in the southern area of the Habana province.

As a tribute to Bill Evans who recorded Waltz For Debby at the hallowed
Village Vanguard, bebo closes out the CD with his rendition of the same.

There is a fantastic new documentary on the life of señor Valdés, "Old Man
Bebo" making the rounds of film festivals around the world, I am working on
getting it to Denver ASAP.

Arturo

PS The fellows at Groov are working this limited availability import
release.