[JPL] Sunday Jazz Trivia

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 21 21:31:42 EDT 2008

Hi Jae,

Speaking of totally different embouchures...

I spoke with the maestro Mario Bauza many years ago and he told me a
story where he learned to play trumpet in two weeks for a show that
Chick Webb was putting on.  One of Webb's trumpet players was not
going to make the date for some reason and Bauza offered to take his
place.  Webb asked Bauza how was he going to do that knowing that
Bauza was a clarinetist by trade.  Bauza answered, "You buy me the
trumpet and I will learn the part."  Bauza told me he spent two weeks
in his apartment with that trumpet,  learned and played the part
perfectly.

Aloha,

Bobby