[JPL] Sunday Jazz Trivia

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 22:15:42 EDT 2008

Wow...Bobby. That's an amazing story and any musician that doesn't play trumpet...or those that do would agree. Two weeks? I tried blowing a trumpet a while back and I thought my head was going to implode.

Speaking of trumpet..this reminds me of an odd bit of history...are you or anyone else familiar with Bells Palsy? It's a facial type of paralysis and no definitive cause is known. I know of a few horn players that suffered from it. Saxophonists and trumpeters. I understand Donald Byrd had it for a while and I heard long ago that Diz may have dealt with it. Not sure if playing horn adds to the possibility of getting it and I was just curious. Just an interesting side bar to this discussion. Maybe if there are horn players here they can add to this. It's something that's intrigued me years ago when one of my best friends...saxophonist Abdu Salim...got it. We were playing together and one day he wakes up and one side of his face was hanging lower than the other side. The most bizarre thing indeed.

Jae

Jae Sinnett