[JPL] Yeh-Yeh

Fredejazz at aol.com Fredejazz at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 01:34:22 EDT 2008

composer was Rodgers Grant, who played piano for Mongo at that time

In a message dated 9/21/2008 7:34:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jazzhead at bellsouth.net writes:

This  week's sponsor:  Resonance Records

GOING FOR ADDS  NOW:

Resonance Records has re-serviced MIKE GARSON's CONVERSATIONS WITH  MY FAMILY
[ ****1/2 Downbeat '' A glowing achievement''] stickered with some  fine jazz
tracks. This is our first official solicitation for adds (due  to  Reference
Recordings having a title out in the spring which we did  not want to create
any conflict with).   GARSON is a piano and  keyboard wizard, who has worked
with Stan Getz, Stanley Clarke, his band  Freeflight and many others. There are
some gorgeous tracks ready for  airplay.  As a bonus, the DVD features Peter
Erskine and the sadly, late  great LA bass player, Dave Carpenter + a preview
of Resonance artist Lori Bell  on flute.

Resonance has just released Pittsburgh native CATHY ROCCO's  debut YOU'RE
GONNA HEAR FROM ME. Check out her take on ''Autumn Leaves'',  ''Come Rain or
Shine'' and ''Give Me One Reason'' (with a guest turn on organ  from John
Beasley).   ROCCO is not some newbie-want-to-be  a-jazz-singer.  ''She is a formidable
swinger'' Will Friedwald, New York  Sun, from the liner notes, which are
worth a read.  Cathy is supported by  Tamir Hendelman on piano, Dave Carpenter on
bass and Vic Stevens on  drums.  CATHY ROCCO has a big voice and a keen sense
of  drama.

ADDING ON OCTOBER 7:
Christian Howes with Roger Kellaway  ''Heartfelt''
Toninho Horta: ''To Jobim With  Love

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've got a question about  the composition "Yeh-Yeh" which was a hit for
Georgie Fame in the mid '60s.  Jon Hendricks recorded it and wrote the lyrics but
Pat Patrick from the Sun Ra  Arkestra shares a co-composer credit. Does anyone
know if Sun Ra ever recorded  this - to my knowledge Pat Patrick never
recorded anything outside of Sun Ra's  orbit.
One of the coolest tunes ever, IMO.

Mark Dove
"Sounds of  Jazz"
"Cafe Jazz"