[JPL] Sunday Jazz Trivia

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Mon Sep 22 09:12:34 EDT 2008

Nou Dadoun wrote:
> This week's sponsor:  Resonance Records
>
> GOING FOR ADDS NOW:
>
> Resonance Records has re-serviced MIKE GARSON's CONVERSATIONS WITH MY FAMILY [ ****1/2 Downbeat '' A glowing achievement''] stickered with some fine jazz tracks. This is our first official solicitation for adds (due to  Reference Recordings having a title out in the spring which we did not want to create any conflict with).   GARSON is a piano and keyboard wizard, who has worked with Stan Getz, Stanley Clarke, his band Freeflight and many others. There are some gorgeous tracks ready for airplay.  As a bonus, the DVD features Peter Erskine and the sadly, late great LA bass player, Dave Carpenter + a preview of Resonance artist Lori Bell on flute.
>
> Resonance has just released Pittsburgh native CATHY ROCCO's debut YOU'RE GONNA HEAR FROM ME. Check out her take on ''Autumn Leaves'', ''Come Rain or Shine'' and ''Give Me One Reason'' (with a guest turn on organ from John Beasley).   ROCCO is not some newbie-want-to-be a-jazz-singer.  ''She is a formidable swinger'' Will Friedwald, New York Sun, from the liner notes, which are worth a read.  Cathy is supported by Tamir Hendelman on piano, Dave Carpenter on bass and Vic Stevens on drums.  CATHY ROCCO has a big voice and a keen sense of drama.
>
> ADDING ON OCTOBER 7:
> Christian Howes with Roger Kellaway ''Heartfelt''
> Toninho Horta: ''To Jobim With Love
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>

>> Jae Sinnett wrote:
>>
>>  Some jazz trivia for fun....
>>> 1. His seminal sessions in 1942 with Lester Young on tracks such as "Body
>>> and Soul," "Tea For Two" and "Indiana" proved he was a major jazz talent to
>>> the jazz world as an instrumentalist. He was also one of the first black
>>> jazz musicians to have his own "radio" show. Who was he?
>>>

>> Nat King Cole
>>
>>  2. He led the BBC Dance Orchestra from the mid to late 30's after he moved
>>> to Europe from the states. Upon his return he was responsible for getting
>>> black musicians work in Hollywood studios and as an integral part of the
>>> Musicians Union Locals. Who was he?
>>>

>> Benny Carter
>>

>> Eric Jackson
>> Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
>> 89.7 FM WGBH Boston
>> www.wgbh.org/jazz
>>

>>  Jae Sinnett
>>>
> I knew that Benny Carter worked with other European bands but didn't know
> about his connection with the BBC Dance Orchestra; according to Grove though
> (which I only looked at *after* getting the answer) he was only a
> staff-arranger, did he in fact 'lead' the orchestra?  Do recordings exist?
>
> I have a couple of the Off-The-Air aircheck LPs featuring Benny Carter on
> the British label Spotlite but they're only American recordings from the
> 40's, one features Mary Lou Williams on piano though .. N

I have a 3 CD set on Affinity entitled Benny Carter, The Complete
Recordings, 1930 - 1940 vol 1. Even though the set includes several
London recording dates, nothing is listed as being by the BBC Orchestra.

Here is a segment from the informative notes by Alun Morgan that come
with the set.

"In fact he remained with the Willie Lewis band until March 1936 when he
received an offer to come to England. This had come about through the
good offices of Leonard Feather, who knew of Benny's work through his
records. (Benny was familiar with Feather's writings but the two had
never met before 18th March when Leonard met Benny off the boat train in
Victoria Station.) Thanks to both the recommendations of both Feather
and Spike Hughes, Henry Hull, then leading the BBC Dance Orchestra
agreed to employ Carter as a staff arranger. Benny's work permit
prevented him from actually playing in public or broadcasting  with the
Dance Orchestra (although special permission was given for one public
concert later.) The permit also had to be renewed at intervals which
meant that Benny had to leave the U.K. for a few months at a time and
then re-enter, making a fresh application on each occasion.

Carter recalls that he would produce around six arrangements a week for
Henry Hull; sometimes it would be two a day if one was simply a
framework for a vocalist. Leonard Feather remembers it was only nine
days after he and Carter met at Victoria Station that the BBC Dance
Orchestra broadcast it's first arrangement by this brilliant visiting
American.

The work permit did not prevent Benny from making records in Britain and
between April and June 1936 he did four dates for the reactivated
Vocalion label under the a. and r. responsibility of Feather."

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz