[JPL] yeh - yeh

Fredejazz at aol.com Fredejazz at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 12:48:47 EDT 2008

I've got a question about the composition "Yeh-Yeh" which was a hit for
Georgie Fame in the mid '60s. Jon Hendricks recorded it and wrote the lyrics but
Pat Patrick from the Sun Ra Arkestra shares a co-composer credit. Pat Patrick
was the musical director of Mongo's unit when i joined  the band. He and i
colaborated in writing "Yeh! Yeh!". It was written in a  recording studio in all
of 15 minutes. He wrote the begin while I wrote the  bridge. Does anyone know
if Sun Ra ever recorded  this No, he did not!!!- to my knowledge Pat Patrick
never recorded anything outside of Sun Ra's orbit. Pat's  stint with Sun Ra
was after he left Mongo's unit!!! One of the coolest  tunes ever, IMO. Mark is
sayin' a lot if he thinks of it as  a cool tune!!!!! True, it is different!!!!
Thanks for writing to me Fred.  I will be in the Catskills in a couple of
weeks. Maybe we will be able to break  bread with a few of the guys. I'll be in
the area for 2 days the frist week in  Oct. Take care. Bye for now.

LOVE  YA

                                           RODGERS