[JPL] Programming guidelines/Question

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Tue Sep 23 04:06:15 EDT 2008

Umm, Rob there are VERY few suits in radio, at least outside of Hawaii.
Even management can come to work casual in radio.  I know that management
and I differ on some things, but I think many of our goals are the same,
like make the listeners happy and keep them listening. Management wants a
bigger audience, that's their goal.  My goal is good music and a good sized
audience to play it to.  I try to understand other ideas about broadcasting,
new concepts and studies can help me understand what's happening out there,
rather then just play whatever I'm in the mood for.  There is a lot that is
great and I can choose the best of that for radio.  Not everything that is
good belongs on the radio, in my opinion.

The sound of a bass solo is lost in the car, which is why programmers try to
avoid them.  On occasion I play a tune with a bass solo and pump it up on
the board, but I have to be sure to catch it when the horns come back.
Watching a drum solo is different than hearing one at 3 in the afternoon
when you are at work.  How people are using the radio is listening to the
listeners too, it's considering what they are doing not just what you feel
like playing.

There really is a lot to consider about how to get more people to listen, or
stay listening, unless you are doing a little vanity show for you and your
friends, which is cool too.  I see that you are doing a show on a student
radio station that is mainly rock/alt.  It's good for a student station to
have that kind of variety and independence but if you want to work in radio
in a market where thousands of people are listening, you might want to hear
what others have learned about how to grab a bigger audience and still play
great jazz.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix

The day the suits tell me what and when to play is the day I hang up my
headphones for good.  I "prep" my show and leave a lot of room for
improvisation and participation by the audience.  I never presume to know
everything about anything. Jazz listeners give a damn about the music and we

should give a damn about the listeners.  Nuff' said.

Robb Peterson
KTUH FM
Honolulu