[JPL] Sunday Jazz Trivia/Benny Carter

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Tue Sep 23 07:03:27 EDT 2008

Two quick notes on Benny Carter.  It was during his 1936 sojourn in London
that he first recorded "When Lights Are Low," featuring the English vocalist
Elisabeth Welch.  A year later in Paris, he and Hawk recorded 4 glorious
titles with Django and Stephane Grappelli (on piano) as the All-Star Jam
Band.
Jae touted his prowess in non-playing capacities, but he was a monster on
alto, one of the big three, along with Hodges and Willie Smith, of the
pre-WWII years, and of those the most influential.  Art Pepper, Phil Woods
and Cannonball Adderley (and many other altos) had lots of Benny as well as
Bird in their styles.

Tom Reney