[JPL] Boxing and Jazz

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 23 23:41:40 EDT 2008

Jae,

A few more jazz and boxing connections:

Drummer Stan Levy had been a boxer before becoming a musician. Joe Zawinul was never a professional boxer but he sparred and Miles Davis respected his prowess in the ring. Jelly Roll Morton managed at least one fighter when he was living in Washington DC in the late '30s. Barry Gordy had been a boxer and a jazz drummer before his career as a record producer and label owner. And two huge boxing fans are Poncho Sanchez and Giovanni Hidalgo.

Larry